Tuesday, August 25, 2015

A Painted Pot Redo Becomes A Fall Centerpiece

I’ve had this terracotta pot sitting on a shelf in our garage all Summer.  I painted it a couple of years ago and added the fleur de lis stencil.  I never used it this year and I was thinking it was time to repaint it. 

SONY DSC

I had some paint left in two sample pots of Coco and Old Ochre chalk paint so I decided to use those.  I just kept it simple and neutral, because I would like to be able to use it for Spring, Summer and Fall in different ways.  I painted it with the Coco and then dry brushed the Old Ochre over that.

SONY DSC

For Fall, I found this project when I was looking through my Halloween/Fall board on Pinterest.  This is my inspiration for this project.

Fall centerpiece

Source : Pinterest

I pretty much have everything I need to put it together ~ the pot, a glass hurricane, and some Fall florals.  I’m using one of my monogrammed faux candles for pictures. I used a small glass votive holder to raise up my faux candle to the proper height.

SONY DSC

The florals are from an old floral arrangement that I took apart a few years ago when the container it was in broke.  I used them last year in a wooden tote on my living room coffee table. 

SONY DSC

I will have to buy one thing ~ a candle.  I think a pumpkin colored/scented pillar candle would finish this off nicely.

SONY DSC

And now I have a lovely Fall centerpiece!  I may add some faux leaves to this, too.  I have some extras floating around in my Fall bin. 

SONY DSC

This could be used outside or in.  I’ll be using mine on our dining table. 

SONY DSC

For now, though, I will use this boxwood ball in the pot.  This makes for a really quick decorative piece and will work great for the end of Summer transition into Fall decorating.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

 

18 comments:

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, gorgeous update for the little pot. What a pretty centerpiece for fall on your table. In the meantime, the boxwood topped on the pot is perfect. Thanks for the inspiration. I am taking down my fall bins this weekend. Can't believe it's that time again already. Where did summer go?
Have a great day.cm

Sonny G said...

wow Kathy.. I am in love with this project.. it looks terrific..

thanks for sharing your method and for such great photos of how it looks in your home..

Sonny

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What a great fall centerpiece!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This is so pretty, Kathy...love how you re-used things you already had!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy! Oh, you did good the pot looks so nice. I love what you did with the hurricane and flowers too! You're on a roll. Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Love the look of this candle in the Fall arrangement. I'm going to have to copycat and link back to your inspiration piece. Thanks for sharing this.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

That looks great. It's neutral and easy to work with. I like both versions. I'm holding off on fall decorating but gathering ideas.

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

I've pinned the same "inspiration," Kathy, and you've made yours look great. I love what your pot looks--yes, neutral but very interesting. It will definitely serve you for every season. Looks great!! :) ~Zuni

Betty said...

It looks so pretty and perfect for fall.

Cynthia said...

Hi Kathy, great job, it looks great and pumpkin colored candle will be perfect

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Kathy, what a fantastic idea! You chose the perfect colors to make this flower pot neutral. It looks great in your vignettes! Thanks for sharing!

Our Hopeful Home said...

Great way to repurpose stuff! I have some terra cotta pots that I can't decide whether I should paint or not...yours looks great! And I really love that boxwood ball, I'm obsessed with boxwood!
xoKathleen

Createology said...

Of course I really liked the black pot...until I saw your transformation to the soft Fall décor. Such a nice neutral color for so many different vignettes. Your August Urn is stunning also. Summer Waning Smiles...

Junkchiccottage said...

Kathy,
I really love this one. It is so pretty. Great job.
Kris

BECKY said...

Hi Kathy,
I love it!! I like it so much more than the one that inspired you!! You gave it that special touch of yours!! I need to do some stuff like that for my own home. It is in need of some TLC for sure!
Hugs to you!
Hope all is well with you!
Becky

Karen said...

Great job on the pot! That really makes a nice centerpiece. Thanks so much for always being so kind and uplifting. Your comments always make me happy

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

A very pretty fall centerpiece. I've got so many terra cotta pots and will now use for fall! Sometimes in thrift store I'll buy a basket just to reuse the flowers inside.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Well done, Kathy! In fact, to be totally honest with you - YOURS is better than your inspiration pic!

I love you did it with things you already had - so awesome when frugality works so nicely. ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...